Circle of Life Initiative
Our Circle of Life Tree Planting Initiative aims at planting a tree for every single cremation urn that we sell. The time to take action against climate change is upon us. The restoration of America's forest is a burden that does not solely rest on the shoulders of the government, rather it is the responsibility of every business and more importantly every individual to get involved.
How the Funeral Industry Contributes to Carbon Emissions
- 40 million tons of concrete is used to create burial vaults per year
- 800,000 gallons of formaldehyde-based embalming fluid is buried every year
- 4 million square acres of forest is cut down for wood to make caskets
- 115 tons of steel is used to manufacture caskets
This is just a fraction of the many factors contributing to the negative impact the funeral industry has on our planet. By following through with planting a tree for every urn sold, you can help do your part to ensure the preservation of our planet for our children to inherit
Our goal is to plant 1 million trees in the next ten years. This goal is only achievable with the help of the One Tree Planted Non-Profit Organization. In cooperation with their team of experts, we can effectively plant trees in areas that desperately need tree coverage. The 1 million tree mark that we plan to hit by 2028 would be enough trees to encompass over 1,377 acres of forest!
The Role of Forests in Fighting Climate Change
- In 2010, U.S. forests and long-lived wood products accounted for a net sink of 251 million metric tons of carbon
- Forest growth and afforestation currently offset approximately 13% of U.S. emissions from burning fossil fuels
- A 50-year-old oak forest can sequester 30,000 pounds of carbon dioxide per acre,and emit about 22,000 pounds of oxygen
We hope to be more than just a funeral company with this goal. We want to help create a better world for our children and our children's children through sustainable business practices. We offer this oppprotunity to you to honor a loved one who has passed away while creating a lasting legacy on this planet!
"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is NOW"
To learn more about the many benefits trees provide to local ecosystems check out the Tree Peoples excellent guide.
Keep up to date with our tree planting initiative at the Safe Passage Urns Blog.
Official One Tree Planted reforestation Partner